Friday 6 February 2009

reflections so far...

It's the end of the first week of the online tutoring course and I feel rather 'mind-blown' by everything that's going on with it. There are several aspects that have both impressed and terrified me (although it's fair to say that 'terrified' might be a bit strong!)

As I said on my first venture into blogging, although I am OK with some e-technology, my experiences led me to think that it has the potential to be rather time-consuming in respect of education. I think my feelings on this have not altered too much over the first week, although, as I sit here blogging again, I think that this may become less of an issue as I use the medium more frequently. I imagine that, as with most things, the more familiar you become with it, the easier it is to manage...

Another thought is about the mass of information/communication/messaging and so on that seems to occur in the online environment. It has certainly been confusing having so much going on at once. I do like the way in which I can take some time to ponder other peoples' views and consider my responses in terms of asynchronus discussions, especially as I am not the quickest at replying (although I wouldn't go so far as to say I 'lurk'). However, I am finding it difficult to keep up with the multitude of threads in the online discussion. I wonder if this is about my familiarity with the system? Perhaps I need to learn how to be more discriminating in what I look at.

Having said all that, I can see the benefits of the online medium for supporting learning and am already considering how it could be applied in my current F2F programmes.

I am looking forward to the rest of the course and developing my understanding of how to develop a VLE that is both useful and useable by students to enrich their experience and promote effective learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment