Thursday 26 February 2009

an inventory for online tutoring

As I understand the key readings for this week, an inventory of good practice/guidelines for effective online tutoring arise out of constructive alignment (see Brown, 2001). When considering what it is for me that enables learning in the VLE, the key points are:
  • effective tutoring (and therefore effective learning) can only occur if there are clearly defined and measurable learning outcomes (Maharg, 2005)
  • any goals are developed in collaboration with the group to ensure specific learning needs are identified (Brookfield, 2001)
  • the tutor (and the programme) encourages active learning (Graham et al, 2001)
  • ground rules are negotiated to ensure participation and safety of group members (Brookfield, 2001)
  • a balance needs to be struck in respect of the quantity and quality of contact time between student-student and student-tutor (Graham et al, 2001)
  • perhaps, most fundamentally, the tutor respects the diversity of the student group and thus needs to ensure a flexible and dynamic range of learning opportunities whilst maintaining student-centred, constructive feedback that facilitates achievement of the identified goals and outcomes (Brookfield, 2001; Graham et al, 2001; Maharg, 2005)
It would seem to me that the last point is the one that completes the cycle of learning through constructive alignment as it draws together all the required elements - if the tutor is competent in taking a flexible approach to planning and development of an online curriculum, including the assessment processes (formatively, at least), then the programme can be tailored to the group and the learning potential maximized.

If I was being especially brave, I'd base my inventory on Brook and Oliver (2003) as I feel their model - 'presage; process; product' - provides a useful (if somewhat detailed) breakdown of the key aspects in designing a curriculum that is constructively aligned. However, with a suggested limit of 30 lines to present the inventory here, I don't feel I can do this line of argument justice - suffice it to say that I feel the elements I have identified above are addressed in the Brook and Oliver model, just a little more fully! (Further reading and reflection required on my part...)

No comments:

Post a Comment