Monday 2 February 2009

online tutor - that's me?

It's the first week of February and it's snowing rather heavily! I'm wondering how I'll get home, what to give the kids for tea, my prep for courses I'm teaching over the next few weeks and how to facilitate online learning!

Whilst I do feel comfortable at the computer and can navigate my way around various applications, I do feel somewhat daunted by the notion of online learning - putting together a powerpoint presentation or playing a game is all well and good, but trying to teach in virtual space?

Perhaps I'm a bit slow on the uptake here. Although many of my colleagues think I'm IT savvy, this is my first experince of blogging and, until recently, I had no idea what a blog was. If, as I understand, it can be used as a journal for thoughts, feelings and experiences, it shouldn't be too difficult. At least I've crossed the first hurdle and can edit my blog before posting it (only a few attempts to get it feeling okay).

Hopefully this 'beginner's luck' will continue and I'll soon be a veteran blogger (if that's the correct term).

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John,
    I know what you mean, know matter how IT literate you are, trying to teach in an online space is a different matter! I'm also climbing a steep learning curve, trying to learn how to facilitate online learning (and currently trying to remember who my fellow students are and reading through all of the blogs, messages, etc)
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John,
    I didn't know what a blog was either until I started this course. But they look as if they could be quite useful? What do you teach?
    Joseph

    ReplyDelete